Thursday, June 17, 2010

Semester Reflection Part One

  • What have you learned about the way you learn, work, and/or collaborate?
In all of my classes, humanities especially, I learned that I can learn, work and collaborate with just about everyone. There are people in the class who wouldnt be my first choice to work with, but this year I have tried to find everyones strengths, even when it became really difficult. Through being a managing editor for Ampersand, I had to work with everyone in the class in one way or another. I worked best with the people who had something to contribute or help with and students who would give their ideas. I learned that I need to work with people who I can bounce ideas off of, and have them give their input too. Ampersand was the first time I really worked with so many different opinions and work ethics, and I learned how to approach so many different perspectives. It was difficult at times to find strengths in each person, but I did it, and collaborated with everyone to create an awesome book!

  • What project was most valuable to you, and what have you gained from it?
This semester, Ampersand was the most valuable project for me, especially with the added responsibility of being a managing editor. I made topic changes in my article three or four times, and my most valuable experience was realizing I didnt know enough about most of my topic ideas. I went from my long drawn out photo essay to commuting to education and the California budget crisis, back to my experience as a research subject. I drafted an article on education and I constantly felt like something was missing. I eventually realized I didnt know enough about the subject, only some of the consequences. It was important for me to learn that I cant write an informative article without thorough research and knowledge and that my experiences can end up being interesting topics too.
.
  • Describe one valuable mistake you made this year.
My most valuable mistake this year was during the production of Ampersand when I worked as a managing editor. I think that throughout that project, there were several key places where I made valuable mistakes I have now learned from. At first, I didnt step up as a leader in the project as much as I should have. I also didnt communicate my thoughts or problems very well, and when I did it was sometimes too late. Once we were in the layout/proof stage of the book, I made the mistake of getting way too stressed out and frustrated, and I ended up lashing out at several different people. I think that those situations have become valuable to me now because a good portion of it all goes back to communication and if I had been more clear and/or more calm things might have turned out differently. Nonetheless, I am really proud of the final Ampersand book, and the mistakes I made have taught me how to be a better, effective and more successful leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment