Friday, June 18, 2010

Semester Reflection Part Two

  • What is the greatest contribution you and/or your generation are in the process of making to America and/or American culture?
In my opinion, there are two major contributions that my generation is in the process of making, technology; but more importantly in environmental awareness. My generation has become so much more involved in environmental and even social issues and I think we have absorbed all of the shocking realities that are coming. Although environmental issues are nothing new, and we arent the first ones to begin spreading awareness, my generation has been a large contributor to the "green movement". Its the little things like using metal water bottles or re-useable shopping bags, or even making fashion out of organic and recycled materials. Everyone is thinking a lot more about renewable resources and its become a much more widespread thing to study in college. Even in our class we contributed to it by doing the Media Saves the Beach project. We worked to spread awareness and I think everyone in our team learned so much about our ocean and the dire situation we are going to be facing if we dont take action now.

  • What is a quality in a classmate that you would like to develop in yourself?
I want to develop the quality of believing in myself and my abilities. Although I do believe in myself, especially in school, sometimes I just look at something and almost set myself up for failure. There are several of my classmates who I see always trying their best and keeping a postive mindset. Im sometimes not confident in my knowledge and because of that I get in the mindset that I cant do it. I have begun to learn this year that if I keep a positive attitude and ask plenty of questions, I can get over this mindset. At my internship I had to learn how to operate a linux machine and I went in skeptically and I kept telling myself that it was too difficult. After a couple of lessons from the professionals and help from Calvin, I could successfully type in codes and commands and work the linux system and the complex MRI analysis programs.
  • What four-year college/s are you interested in and why?
I am open to just about every college. Ive heard so many stories about how people find these random schools they never thought they would end up at, but loved where they went to school. My ultimate goal is to go to Princeton University because my grandpa went there and also because how they described it really reminded me of HTHMA.But I do know how competitive it is and it doesnt take an ivy league to go to a great school. I am also interested in UCLA, UCSD, University of British Columbia, Whitman, Hartwick, Stanford, Warren Wilson and schools in Colorado. I have been looking at schools that are smaller, research based, innovative, hands on learning oriented and hopefully sunny most of the year.

  • Beyond grades, what motivates you to work hard at school?
I think the things that motivate me the most are my teachers, being in groups and learning interesting topics. I have loved school ever since kindergarten, and that excitement and love still exists now. I enjoy working hard at my school because usually no matter what we are working on, theres something fun and interesting about it; and even if there isnt, I usually get to work with people I like and that makes everything much better. This year in particular, I have been motivated by the relevance of our work like environmental issues in Media Saves the Beach, or comparing the Great Depression to our current economic rescission. Another large motivation factor was making sure I produced my best work because the public would see it and use it. (calendar and Ampersand)

No comments:

Post a Comment