Friday, September 4, 2009

Resources- American Icons

Coco Chanel
1. Movie:: Coco Before Chanel
I think that there is a lot of value in watching this movie because it goes through her life not only as a prominent fashion designer, but also as an orphan in France. Since she was such a pioneer in modern fashion, I think watching this movie will give me better in sight into where she got her inspiration from.

2. Magazine Article
I learned that Coco was one of Time Magazines 100 most important people of the 20th century and I think that reading the article will be valuable because I will learn more about her and how she was other peoples icons and inspirations.
http://www.time.com/time/time100/artists/profile/chanel.html

3. Website
I think this source will be helpful to me because it includes some pictures and the website is a museum so the article has more legitimacy. It also includes several pictures of pieces she created which gives me more insight into things she designed and the claim that she "knew how to design for women".
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/chnl/hd_chnl.htm

Madonna
1. Interview
I think that this source will help me with my artist's statement because it is a lengthy interview about different aspects in her life. I dont know too much about her life and kids and from this interview I think Ill be able to learn more about the kind of person she is and maybe what prompted her to be a humanitarian.
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/chnl/hd_chnl.htm

2. Article
This source will be helpful because one of my main focuses is Madonna not only as the music star but also the humanitarian using her fame to raise money for kids in Africa. This website is an article talking about her trip to Malawi where she adopted her child. I think her trip there and what she has done is what really makes her an American icon.
http://www.gibbsmagazine.com/Madonna%20Flies%20to%20Malawi%20To%20Help.htm

3. Website
Looking on Madonna.com will help give me a better understanding Madonna and her progression through music over the years. I thought it was pretty cool they have a full photo archive which will be useful to see her different looks over the years and to help get ideas for my self portrait.
www.madonna.com

No comments:

Post a Comment